Saturday, December 25, 2004

Christmas, Part 2

It was blowing hard all last night, so I wasn't surprised by the howling wind on launch this morning. While I waited for the conditions to improve, I drove to the McDonalds in Heathcote to connect to the internet using their WiFi service. It was still blowing but several members of the German team had set up their gliders but were still waiting. I picked up Dean and we found a pocket in the back of the park that was relatively calm so we could work on our gliders. I was tying down my glider with Kip and Carolyn pulled in. Kip was in town for the Hobart race that starts tomorrow morning. We had lunch in the park before returning to launch. It was still blowing hard (10 - 35 mph), but several people had waited long enough. For some strange reason I stayed on the ground with about 1/2 of the pilots and helped the other half launch. The pilots that flew had a good time zipping around in the strong air. Brett Hazlett from Canada was very smooth with his high-speed dives. Dustin Martin, fellow USA team member was startled but unfazed by a broken VG cord in the middle of a loop. There was a lot of usual post-flying chatting in the LZ later. Maybe I can fly before we leave for Deni tomorrow. Maybe.

No comments: