Thursday, January 13, 2005

Back In The Saddle

The forecast for today was confusing. Light winds becoming strong, swinging from NW to SW. We get to the paddock and it is light SE. We wait. Meanwhile I am trying to find a new basebar. We wait some more. Finally the tell us to set up, give us a task, and then give us very little time before the start window opens. Vicki from Moyes finds a basebar for me so I scramble with Liz's help and get things ready just as Davis launchs at the head of my line. The predicted top of climb was 7 or 8k, so we dress warm. Remember it is 42C on the ground (somewhere around 105F). Nothing like wearing winter clothes in the sun on a windless day when its over 100F!

I got a nice tow behind Bob, found a nice climb, and I was on my way. The start gate had already opened even before I left the ground. That is not supposed to happen, but it did. The top of climb was around 4k feet, so we were all terribly hot with all our cold weather gear on. My glider was flying better and I was doing ok about 60k into the course I wound up 400 feet drifting across the ground. I made my way to a billabong where I hoped something might be lifting off. I scared off a huge flock of birds as I approached. I find a very weak climb at 300 feet and started a slow climb as I drifted off course line trying to stay in the game while gliders flew by overhead. Ouch, that hurt! It took a long time before I was high enough to continue and by then I was alone in the blue and a little off course line.

I saw a lot of birds today and thermalled with several. One hawk-like bird took several dives at me, but didn't touch the glider. Today was the first day I saw a lot of birds. It was probably because we were flying along the Mumurbidgee River. It was good to see some trees and contrast to the stark plains to the north.

I got low again and once again managed on last climb before gliding just short of the 2nd turnpoint. I only made 98k of a 190k task, but I doubt very many completed the task.

Tomorrow should also be flyable. Yippee!

No comments: