Saturday, January 15, 2005

Rain

I awoke to rain this morning, so it is obvious we will not be flying today.

Dustin was the top scoring pilot for the USA yesterday. Although he started 15 minutes after me, it caught up with me near the end of the course. We shared a few climbs together before he headed out lower than I wanted in the strong wind. It turns out he had a better idea were goal was and made it in before me. I wasted about 10 minutes on a climb I didn't need since the GPS goal and the actual goal line were not in the same place. This is the second time that I have wasted precious time because I was not clear where goal was. I am going to work to prevent this in the future.

The wind was very strong at the end of the day. The setting sun was starting to be blocked by clouds of dust When Belinda, Davis, and I were searching for Dean. The wind made it hard to even carry a folded up glider!

We flew far enough yesterday to actually see some hills. The scenery was so pretty after seeing nothing but the flat Martian surface around Hay.

2 comments:

Ice Queen Elsa said...

Tom, in checking the team standings it appears that an error made have been made. For the last day they used Curts score, his 55, and not your score. Each day the top 3 pilots per country should be counted for the team score.

I may be worng but make sure that Belinda checks this out and gets it corrected.

Ron Gleason

Tom Lanning said...

The day was dropped, so it does not matter. Thanks for keeping an eye on the scoring.