Saturday, April 30, 2005

Florida Ridge: Day Five

A short downwind barbecue task to the Lake Placid airfield was called today so we could get back in time for the awards ceremony and a nice dinner prepared by the folks from the Gator Bait bar and restaurant we often visit. The winds were so strong early this morning that I quit setting up my glider. However, by 11am the gusts disappeared and the winds slowly relaxed. I continued to push myself to be more aggressive so I decided to take the first start gate today even if no one else did. I launched early and quickly climbed to the top of lift that wasn't much higher than tow height. I soon had the entire field bobbing up and down at the top of lift with me while we drifted away. The start clock flipped over and no one immediately left. I was going to go, but I wanted some company on this mostly blue windy day with a low ceiling. Oleg finally headed out and his little squad followed. I expected to see Oleg turn around and hopefully trick a few into going without him. However he kept going. We glided over the swamp and forest north of the Florida Ridge that is definitely not inviting. Everyone was zig zagging around looking for lift. We would fine little bumps, but nothing that most of us wanted to turn in. I saw a cloud form and quickly dry up over a quarry so I decided to check it out. Oleg and a few of his group also headed towards that area. After a couple of turns Oleg and his followers left, but I stayed with to other rigid wings and was rewarded with a strong climb that turned on just a few moments after the other group left. The rest of the field was groveling down low as we passed over head in the now rapidly forming clouds. I stopped for a climb that probably wasn't strong enough and Oleg started to catch up. I pressed on for a long climb towards goal. About 2/3 of the way through the glide Oleg passed by me 500 feet over my head! Oleg later told me that I took a bad line and he caught up by staying more east directly under the forming clouds instead of the upwind of the clouds like I did. One more quick climb and I headed into goal. After landing just short of goal yesterday, I wanted some more altitude in the bank before I left but not so much that I would come into goal with too much altitude. I left when the machine said I had 500 feet. Unlike yesterday, I was hit with strong lift just before the end of the runway. It was too turbulent to fly really fast, so I couldn't convert the lift into speed.

I was second flexie for the day behind Oleg. Linda and Mark both made goal. It was Mark's first trip to goal. Lauren, flying in the sport class also made goal for the first time today.

From the beginning, I viewed this meet as a practice competition. My main goal was to fly more agressively, especially on final glide. (I am tired of arriving at goal late and with several thousand feet of altitude). I pushed myself and came in second only to Oleg on two of the three days. I pushed too hard and landed short of goal on the second day, but it was good to see how far I can really push. I am already looking forward to my next competition to see how much I really (re)learned.

No comments: