Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Air Coming Straight Up Out of the Ground

As I feared, I woke up sore and stiff this morning. I guess I need to fly more often. ;-)

We had another blue day with a light southeast wind that was predicted to be more southwest north of here. Aside from Bo and Davis on the single surface gliders, the rest of us decided to give the Quest – Wallaby – Deen Still and Route 33 – Quest triangle a another try. Paul and Ron Gleason launched before me and were already topped out when I released from tow; dang here I go playing catch-up again! I was a thermal behind until I spotted Ron flying back downwind to my climb. Ron and I then spent most of the flight together. Ron kept me off the deck with a quick “over here” message when I was getting ready to land near a quarry. We centered up in a strong climb that put us both back into the game. Once at Wallaby Ranch, Ron suggested we head straight back since the sky was quickly filling with cirrus and the climbs were getting weak. Paul tried to shame us into joining him on the way to Deen Still and Route 33, but we decided to wimp out and head back to reduce the chance of landing out.

The return trip was quick and easy and we were soon floating over Quest with Paul, Greg, and another half dozen pilots. The windsock was swinging all over the place and the air all around the LZ was going up. I have never had so much trouble loosing altitude in the flatlands before. (This is common in mountain valleys). One by one we fought our way down and landed. I took the chance to do some high speed glides in the rising air and did some wangs to the south with Keith. I finally worked my way down and had a nice landing near the rotating wind sock. The flight record is online.

Greg Crawford and a couple other pilots showed up from Wallaby shortly after we landed. Julie and Marilyn launched later as I was carrying my harness back to camp. After all the pictures Julie has taken of other pilots, I finally got some of her in action. I missed Marilyn’s approach and landing, but I heard it was first-class. It was a fine day for flying in Florida.

We had a nice meal in the clubhouse this evening and then everyone headed off to finish up chores and get ready for tomorrow, which looks as good or better than today.

No comments: