Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Around We Go

The day started early today. I was setting up my new glider for its maiden flight when Julie launched around 9:30 for what everyone thought would be a glassy sled ride. She proved us wrong by avoiding the ground for a long time. After she eventually landed I took off for a quick test flight and flew for 45 minutes and had to work to get back on the ground.

The heat is finally returning to Florida and I was ready for a nap when Ron, Paul, Lauren, Davis, Greg, and Dave told me about the day’s task. They didn’t have to twist my arm too hard so I inhaled a sandwich, drank some water, and headed back out to the flight line. There were rumors that tomorrow might be a “go long” day, so they picked a “small” 50 mile triangle to Baron, Cheryl, and back. The flight info is online.

After a slow climb-out over launch, the entire group (minus Davis) headed on course. (Davis caught up with us at the first or second climb.) We all took a long glide towards the first turn point and couldn’t find a climb when we needed one. After a long period of poking around, Paul and Davis found a good climb, but I was the furthest away and missed the party. I found the slow remnants and eventually headed on. I caught up with Lauren and then Paul. The climbs were good near the prison and clouds started forming. Other than a worrisome moment when Paul and I couldn’t find a climb near a quarry as we fell below our comfort altitude, the return trip was uneventful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One never knows who might show up to kick all these collective asses all over the sky - so watch your 6 !

Fly safe and have fun...

ROB