Monday, March 27, 2006

Back in the Air, Finally

I moved from Wallaby Ranch to Quest Air yesterday. Pilots were already setup and ready to go when I pulled into the driveway. Marilyn Nichols, Dave, and Julie offered to help me rush to get ready, but I politely turned down their offer so I could pitch my tent, get some groceries, sign the necessary waivers, and anything else I needed to take care of so I could fly for the rest of the week. I watched the gang launch and float over the horizon. I found out later Russell and Campbell landed at the Florida Ridge, Bo landed near Fort Pierce, and Stan landed in Sebring Falls.

After a nice run this morning, I setup and launched after Paul Tjaden. Paul and I planned to fly Wallaby Ranch, to the intersection of Deen Still Road and Route 33, and back to Quest. We knew it might be tough with the east-northeast wind. Paul and I were climbing well until I made a bone-headed move and lost the climb while stowing my tow bridal. After floundering awhile I landed and launched again. By that time I lost track of Paul, who was having radio problems. I decided to hang around the park and play with birds and other pilots in the air. I latter found out Paul never left the area either and landed back at Quest. I flew for a little over 3.5 hours and had plenty of time to practice of number of things before landing at 5pm so we could go eat Thai food. I’m sure I’ll be sore in the morning, but I’ll manage. ;-)

(Thanks for the pictures Julie.)

No comments: