Thursday, March 30, 2006

Tweaking

I got up early this morning hoping to talk to the nice people at Moyes in Sydney before they left for the day. I was never able to get the call to go through on my cell phone but I did get several nice pictures of sunrise over the airfield.

The forecasted light southeast wind turned out to be a moderate east wind so everyone quickly ditched the idea of “going long” today. Some pilots planned a long out-and-back crosswind task and some decided to rest. I decided to tune my glider which turned out to be the right thing to do. I spent the morning and early afternoon disassembling, changing, and reassembling my glider and then spent the later afternoon flying.

Since I didn’t have a driver, I decided to work upwind so I could blow back home if I got low. I spent most of the afternoon (2 hours 45 minutes) floating around at cloud base checking out changes I made to the glider, chasing birds, scoping out the scenery, and getting cold. I definitely like how the glider now handles and probably will not change anything major before the competitions.

John Chambers showed up last night and managed to get a reacquainted flight this afternoon. The weather continues to look good for the near future, so more flying is probably in my future. Life is tough. ;-)

No comments: