Saturday, June 10, 2006

ECC (Day 6)

My flight today had more ups and downs than an afternoon TV soap opera. We had a 50+ mile downwind then crosswind task to a virtual goal along the coast. I usually launch early, but was worried I would be blown out of the start circle. Bubba and I talked with David Glover about the possible scoring advantages of taking the second clock. We both decided to take the second start gate which meant I would have to hang around within the start circle 15 minutes longer. The wind was increasing and the clouds were quickly disappearing. I decided to go ahead and launch early so I could keep my options open.

I was hooked up to Zack in the yellow tug and away we went. Something hit us at 300 feet and my weak link broke. Dang. I figured anything strong enough to knock me off tow might be strong enough to climb in so I started turning. I quickly drifted down the runway but climbing. I stayed with the climb and got up, but a couple miles down wind of the airfield. The field of clouds that were overhead was quickly receding to the east. It was a tough decision; go downwind to the clouds and hang out on the outside of the start circle for almost 30 minutes or risk going back upwind into the blue. I finally decided to head back knowing I could re-launch if I landed.

I plowed back upwind 4 times, arriving low each time. I was now second guessing my decision, but the die was cast. I finally got a decent climb and broke through the inversion around 3200 with Bubba and Paul. After all the drama, I was in a good position to start and glide down wind into the blue chasing the departing clouds. Bubba and I had a good run to the clouds and things were going as planned. We went on a glide that should have taken us through some lift but didn’t. Just about the time I started getting worried I hit a boomer that Bubba didn’t connect with and beamed up. I said good bye to Bubba and moved on. I had another long glide with no lift. I thought the day was over for me. I radioed Drew that I was below 400 feet, unzipping, and was approaching my probable LZ. I found a few bumps and start circling as I drifted away from the road to a tree line. I was climbing just enough to keep a safe glide back to the field. I dared to think I might be up before reaching the coast when the climb got solid and then went ballistic. Yeehaw! I was soon back to cloud base and moving along the course line again. Whew, that was close.

I had a nice glide around a large blue area and flying back south west to the course line. I started getting low and settled for a slow climb. Bo and then Bubba caught me since I was afraid to leave before getting more altitude. From there the 3 of us bounced under clouds on our way to goal. About 13 miles out I noticed clouds forming at 2000 feet underneath the larger clouds at 5000 feet. Um, looks like a sea breeze moving in from the east. Although the flight computer showed I had goal by 1500 feet, I continued to climb with Bo. We started our final glide, neither wanting to waste altitude that might be needed to penetrate a head wind at lower altitudes. I ended up wasting several minutes since the transition from the northwest wind to the south east wind was reasonably clean and wind was weak until we were close to the ground. (My flight is available online).

Bubba, who was lower, landed at the edge of the goal circle, while Bo and I headed to the far side to land. I landed next to Davis and Jeff; thanks for the wind indicator Davis! Jeff snapped a picture of me just before Belinda got a called from Marcello. He was suggesting that I ride back with them. Uh? I called Drew and he said it would help since the land owner of Bubba’s and Marcello’s field was upset and was calling the sheriff. Since a thunderstorm that chased us all day was approaching, Jeff helped me pack up the glider so we could beat the rain and not keep Davis and Belinda waiting.

Greg called wanting to know how I did. He was surprised to find out I got the second gate. He relaxed his pace thinking no one was behind him. He also wasn’t sure he arrived at the correct waypoint so he flew on to another nearby waypoint that had a similar name before landing.

Once we got back to the airfield we all huddled around David Glover on his scoring computer as each person checked in. After all the dust settled, Greg won the day, but I managed to win the meet for flex wing class. The scores are available online. A large group of pilots went out for pizza and beer in town afterwards and relived our day’s adventures as pilots often do.

This meet was fun, primarily because of the people involved. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly. Also there were a large number of pilots, like me, that had a good shot at winning since the superstars, like Oleg, were not here. The launch line was never crowded; you basically suited up, picked up your glider, and walked to launch. The enthusiasm of the sport class was contagious; they were trash talking all the time!

No comments: