Friday, August 04, 2006

Pre-Worlds (Day -2)

A constant stream of hang gliding vehicles poured into the airport at Big Spring today. The hanger quickly filled with gliders as a high deck of clouds moved away. I jumped into the air early trying to find that sweet spot between too little lift and too much lift. (The forecast included thunderstorms). I pinned off early in a weak climb, goofed around awhile, and synced up with some other pilots in a climb that Dustin started. Speaking of Dustin, he was flying a T2 with a dark gray upper surface that Rob Kells says should last twice as long as traditional Mylar. Aside from the glistening sun off the new sail, it was hard to find Dustin at times if you were above him.

I spent a couple of hours getting banged around as the air was much more active than the water soaked air at home. I also had to dive away from clouds several times as the lift really accelerated near cloud base. I pushed upwind, took some pictures of the wind mills to the southeast of the airport, and kept an eye open for rain or lightning. A cell starting dumping rain to the south but it looked like it would drift to the west of the airport. I started another climb when I noticed two more showers directly upwind of the airport. I decided it was time to land, so I blew off my altitude and landed. Well, “arrived” might be a better term. I had a genuine whack as I flared too late and too little. I will do better next time.

There is a party tonight at the motel, so its time to go get some food and drink.

No comments: