Friday, August 18, 2006

Pre-Worlds (Day 6)

I knew we wouldn’t fly today after looking at the sky and reading the NWS forecast. It was funny when Gerolf asked Davis and Gary if they looked out the window after giving an optimistic forecast for the day at the pilots meeting. I’m sure they, and everyone else, knew it was raining just a few miles away, but it was still funny.

Although some pilots left their gliders in the hanger, I dragged mine out hoping a cloudburst would wash off the dust from the dust-devil attack on the second day. I spent most of the afternoon talking with pilots as we sat around gliders on the south end of the runway. I finally gave up on the rain (and flying) and walked my glider back to the hanger. I arrived just as David announced the day was cancelled. I snapped a few pictures, had a nice meal in town, and went back to my room to get some sleep. (I didn’t get back to my room until 2am the previous night and had to be at the airport by 8am to download my flight).

(I took these pictures with a Motorola Q cell phone. The picture quality is not as good as the Canon SD300 I usually use but they are better than nothing which is what I would have if I had to dig out the camera.)

No comments: