Sunday, April 15, 2007

Florida Ridge - Day 7

I didn't sleep much last night due to my coughing and probably bothered everyone camping in the orange grove. As expected I dropped a few spots when the new cumulative scores were posted. Kevin had a good day and was now just a few points behind me. I hate passing up good flying days and with the race so close I just couldn't sit out the day even if I didn't feel good.

I talked to several more experienced racers and they all said I should stay close to Kevin and just make sure I arrive at roughly the same time. I had only tried to "cover" a pilot one other time when I unsuccessfully tried to hang onto Bubba at the East Coast Championship two years ago. I liked the thought of doing something different so I had a plan for the day.

I had a fast tow to a good climb behind Russell in the silver bullet. I climbed well and was on top waiting for Kevin. The gaggle soon topped out and began bouncing around at the top of the bubble, bobbing up and down on every circle. I waited for Kevin and soon we were following each other around the sky. (Anytime I couldn't immediately find Kevin, I would look behind and see him on my tail.)

We had a good start and had predictable glides and climbs close to course line. On the way to the second turn point we came up short for a climb and had to stop in a weak excuse for a thermal. We all were searching for that elusive core that just didn't seem to be there. Kevin made a large swing to the west that didn't pay off and came back lower than the main gaggle. I was ready to move along course line when Kevin headed 90 degrees to course line downwind. I know I had a plan, but I just couldn't bring myself to follow him. So I let him go and pushed on. I looked back and could see he found a good climb, but was drifting off course.

I joined Davis in a good climb before the second turn point and from there the rest of course was straightforward. Around the second turn point the pilots that took the later clock caught up; they probably didn't suffer through a slow climb like we did. I was leaving the turn point when I saw Kevin coming in. I shared a nice strong climb to cloud base with Paris before heading towards goal northwest of La Belle.

I watched Kevin pull into the last climb before goal. I was tempted to leave when I had 1000 feet over best glide but decided to be conservative since I saw 2 gliders circling just short of goal and I didn't want to blow final glide; I just needed to match Kevin. I finally left when I had 2000 feet above best glide to goal. The glide was ok for awhile, but I ran through some sink that took my altitude down to 500 over best glide. I made a single turn in strong lift and that is when Kevin blazed by me. I followed closely and crossed the finish line a few seconds behind him.

Kevin was a real sport and walked over and congratulated me when I parked my glider. It is fun competing with friends and good sports.

Brian, Patrick, and Rodger all were waiting at goal, since their task was a downwind run to the same grass airstrip. I snagged a quick picture of all the sport class pilots that made goal. Linda, George, and Mark all arrived at goal so Ron only needed to make one stop to pickup his crew.

Rodger won the national sport class title and also the sport class meet. Linda won the women's title, Campbell won the rigid wing title, I won the national flex wing title, and Dave Matthews from Great Britain won the flex wing meet. We eat pizza, drank, and talked into the night; well most of us did. My voice was totally gone and I was wiped. I took a nap on the hammock in the middle of all the commotion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tom. You’ve really worked hard and long for this win with dedication that few can imagine. Rodger and Linda congrats on your first place finishes too! Brian (a virtual New Englander who just happens to live a bit further Northeast than most) and great showing as well with a 2nd place finish. Hey Rodger, I am sure many would like to hear your account of the Sport Class comp. Do we get to throw you all into the pond at Morningside on your return? Lee

Anonymous said...

I"ts Sunday Evening here, Nor'easter dumping snow, sleet, rain - making a real mess...I'm sure you guys miss it...

I wish I was there to regale in your successes - Tom, Rodger, Brian - nice job ! Rob&Sandy

Anonymous said...

Congradulations Tom! Excelent job. Sorry to hear you have been under the weather but that doesn't seem to have diminished your performance. You write well and I enjoy reading your blog. All the rest of us NE pilots get to fly vicariously through you.

Hope to fly with you this year,

Jeff Curtis H2