Thursday, April 19, 2007

Flytec - Day 4

Today was a day of unusual clouds. Although the low-levels of the atmosphere were mostly stable, the mid-levels were unstable and active. This produced a lot of unusual cloud patterns that changed from hour to hour.

The 72k (45 mile) task was to a small airstrip to the northeast and then to field to the north northeast. Kevin took a test flight and reported abundant light lift so the tugs started rolling on time. I had a sweet tow behind Jim to a climb and slowly climbed to 5000 feet over the field. A few of us headed to the start circle and didn't find much. We were still wallowing around when the next gaggle joined in a bit higher. I didn't have much altitude but flew back upwind to snag the 2nd start clock and returned to the gaggle.

It was then that I made the biggest mistake of my short flight. I was ready to go and instead of continuing the climb I joined a couple other pilots on a glide along course line. I faded furthest east but the glider furthest west found the next climb. By the time I got to the climb I was below the rest of the forming gaggle, including the gliders that let us take the risk leading out. I never really found the climb and had to move on low. I connected with a couple little climbs but was never "in the race" with everyone else. Jack, I and another pilot found a bumpy climb short of the first turn point that was drifting off course line and over a lake. I thought that climb might be our ticket out, but it just gave me enough height to cross the lake and make minimal progress until I had to turn down wind further off course to find an LZ. Four other gliders that glided directly across the lake higher landed in the same field in a light rain about 3 miles short of the first turn point.

Mark and Dave picked me up shortly after I finished packing. We drove on to pick up Derek who landed with Kevin and Jim about 10 miles short of goal.

Once again I had problems flying effectively in the large gaggles. I had trouble climbing when everyone else was turning in large circles that prevented me from centering in the small bubbles. Even so, the single decision to fade east on a single glide probably did me in for the day. Many pilots made goal and I'm sure I dropped a lot of places in the standings. Still, it was an interesting flight and one I would have not tried if free-flying.

Rain fell last evening as we enjoyed a very good female singer with an acoustic guitar and free-flowing blueberry beer. I slept well if not long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

blueberry beer - GAG!

R

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

Congratulations on being the newest US champion. Say hi to Rodger from me and congratulate him also on being the felxwing champ. Hope the weather is good for the rest of the comps.

Robert

Anonymous said...

Hey Robert!
Thanks for the congrats, though I’m only the junior varsity champ (sport class). In the flexwing class (open) I’d have been total roadkill.