Sunday, April 29, 2007

Flytec - Day 6

I was at the door of the urgent care facility when they opened at 8:00 to pick up my x-rays and the radiologist's report. The staff were friendly and accommodating; unlike my physician back in Massachusetts. I called my physician around 8:15 and left a message with an operator telling them I faxed them the report, I had the x-rays, I was in Florida which was at least a 2 day drive away, and I would appreciate a prompt call back. I called another pilot from my area, Mark V, to see if he could shuttle some gliders back home if I left before the meet was over. Mark said no problem.

I wasn't sure if I should break camp and start driving, go get a CT scan at a local hospital, or go flying since nothing important could happen until Monday (it was Friday). I called my physician's office again right before the pilot's meeting at 10:30. This time I got a nurse that said the doctor only answers phone calls between 4:00 and 4:30 in the afternoon. What? Yep, can't do anything until then. Well after that infuriating exchange the booming forecast and a 127 mile task to the Florida Ridge made it pretty easy go flying.

Although I have flown from Wallaby Ranch to the Florida Ridge before, I knew it would be fun to fly there from Quest. It would also be fun to fly with a lot of other gliders since I usually fly that task alone. I have to admit my medical issues kept creeping into my mind, but once the tug started rolling all that other stuff simply faded to the background.

I had sweet tow and solid climb to what I thought was base at 3600 feet. I then looked to the east and saw Ron coming my way in his Canadian maple leaf glider several thousand feet higher. Yow! The entire gaggle moved to the northwest and slammed into a climb that yanked us into the ice box at 6900 feet. I immediately got on the radio to tell anyone on the ground to wear whatever they had and that this was coming from a cold weather New England pilot. I never got below 4800 feet again until I was gliding into goal.

Most of the field was bobbing around at cloud base and took the first start. I zipped over to Route 27, but it didn't pay off as it did yesterday. The main gaggle found an equivalent climb on course line that left me a half-climb behind. I flew to a developing cloud over the Route 27 and I-4 interchange that I just knew should be working but wasn't. I spent too much time trying to prove myself right and lost the lead group. No worries, just move on; it's a long flight. I checked in with our driver Mark, who made a quick stop at Wallaby on the way south. I told him to tell anyone with a glider to get into this epic air right now or they will regret it.

The classic Florida convergence line setup up right down Route 27 south of Lake Wales. I've had several runs on this sweetie but never during a competition and not at 7000 feet. There really wasn't much strategy involved; just keep flying the cloud line, pull the bar in, occasionally turn in really strong lift. I could have flown faster, but my arms were soon too tired to fly as fast I as I should have. My SeeYou flight analysis states I was rising 30% of the time when flying straight; I wish every flight was like that. I got on the radio at one point saying I knew I was coming into a strong thermal since it was filled with gliders, birds, trash bags, and leaves!

Somewhere south of Sebring, my "other world" forced its way into my mind. I started having those "what if it's cancer" thoughts. About that time I spotted a big flock of large birds coming into the cloud I was gliding under. If I had surgery in my future, this could be my last flight for awhile. I decided it was more important to play than race to goal. I took a detour and merged into the middle of the flock as they cruised around base and exited out the other side. It was fun having birds completely surround me; well worth the diversion.

Back on course I continued gliding south to the Ridge. The convergence line weakened and faded further east as I reached the Route 27 and Route 29 intersection. I had positive numbers to goal, but knew this area was always full of surprises. I also had other pilots with me that I wanted to beat into goal. I decided to drift east over the open fields and then dive due south to the ridge. I passed a couple pilots, but Montana Jeff was slowing catching me. I dove across the line 1 second ahead of him; whew too close!

Once on the ground I quickly dug out my cellphone. I had one message. As expected the doctor's office called after 4:30. It was now 5:02. I called but only got an answering machine. Dang. I guess I should have flown faster. ;-) I left a message and started to break down. A few minutes later I got a call from my doctor's office; I guess not everyone left at 5:00. I setup an appointment for 9:00am Monday morning in Massachusetts which meant the meet was over for me.

It was strange merging the Quest and the Florida Ridge experience I had just a week ago. After we broke down, the Brits were back at their favorite spot on the deck, Dennis was moving through the pilots, Steve was laughing out loud, and Cheryl was taking pictures. There were many many happy pilots at goal. I lost count of the "this is my longest flight ever" high-fives. Even PK, who landed short on the other side of the river, still had his longest flight ever. It was truly an epic Florida day. I flew 128 in 3.5 hours and averaged 37.5 mph, which after factoring out the wind, meant I was flying at 27.5 mph which is very fast for me.

Now we faced the long drive back home. At least everyone (Dave, Derrek, and I) landed at goal, but that really didn't take the edge off the double long drive for Mark. The crew indulged my desire to get a picture of the sun setting over the orange groves. We passed Jack and PK in Sebring and invited them to join us for dinner at Sonny's. We got back, quickly unloaded, checked-in, and disappeared into the dark.

No comments: