Monday, January 07, 2008

(Reverse) Grapevine Grip

I just finished reading the article Dennis Pagen wrote in the January 2008 issue of "Hang Gliding & Paragliding" where he strongly recommends using the grapevine grip during foot launch and to continue using that grip until it is time to transition to the base bar.  I handle the glider on launch using the grapevine grip but have to admit I transition to the bottle grip as I run.  My hands just seem to naturally rotate around into the bottle grip as I fall lower and lower in the control frame as the glider lifts off.  I'm not sure I could maintain a grapevine grip throughout my run but I plan to give it a try when I get back into the air.

I've included photos of John launching at Ascutney in late June using the reverse grapevine grip.  He maintains the grip much longer than I do and it seems to work fine.




1 comment:

Joe Faust said...

Pulled-in bottle may permit a less complex transition.

USHGRS.org