Tuesday, June 03, 2008

East Coast Championship (Day 2)

Although climbs around the airfield was weak, the strong climbs on course turned the 40 mile dash to goal into a full-on race. I launched between Johnny and Dustin; a good place to be. Sonny was ready rumble, stressing his 3rd place finish ahead of me yesterday.


I left with a large gaggle at 2:15, but got a sloppy start since I was messing with my flight computer when everyone took off. I hate starting behind everyone on such a short course. The first climb on course was very good but I let the gaggle race ahead because I thought that strong thermal was fluke, not the rule. However after Greg and I spiraled up together wing tip to wing tip, I knew for sure it was time to race hard. However the high speed glides took its tool on my arm. By the time it came for final glide I just couldn't keep up the speed necessary to stay in front on Sonny and he beat my by a couple seconds. "Curse you red baron!" ;-)

Konrad, Davis, Paul, Sonny, and I broke down in the shade along a tree line at the far north end of the field. It was sweet to be at goal; even the air was perfumed with honeysuckle that was growing over our next retrieve vehicle.


A crop duster circled over the field and made a very low strafing down the runway and right past our gliders. Way cool.


Lots of pilots made goal today. Jim and PK had their first competition goal landings today and both but let loose with a series of wangs to show their joy. In the sport class Brian was one of two that made goal. The scores are available online.

I may or may not fly today since I awoke to a swollen elbow. I probably should stay on the ground but I'm not very good at doing what I should.

No comments: