Monday, June 16, 2008

East Coast Championship (Day 7)

PK asked why I didn't write up the last day of the ECC. Oops, my bad.

The last day was wicked hot and humid but the forecast predicted light winds and workable lift to 3500 (1000m) and maybe even 4000 feet. Everyone spent the morning rigging using as little energy as possible. The task was a straight line to a field near the coast 37 miles (59 km) to the southeast. We all hide from the sun under gliders and tugs while watching the occasional pilot launch and eventually land. Jim P managed to stay airborne for a long time even as the task times were delayed. When Jim eventually landed I told him about the time shift and he jokingly said it would have been nice to know about the change but it was better waiting in the air than on the sweltering ground. He walked over to the empty tow line and hooked up for another go.

I launched when I had just enough time to get the last start circle. I stayed on for the full smooth tow, released, and started gliding for the start circle. I headed towards several gliders circling near the start circle, but they were barely climbing. I found a sweet little thermal over some metal buildings and was soon climbing higher than everyone around me. The gliders in front of me returned to my climb and we drifted through the start circle right on time. Davis, Dustin, Johnny, Sonny, and I took off towards a staggered line of clouds a little north of course line. Davis was pushing hard while the rest of us would stay until we topped out around 3000 feet (900 m). I thought Davis, Dustin, and Johnny were being too aggressive as the clouds and climbs weakened so I started falling behind as I climbed another couple hundred feet on each climb. About half way there I finally lost my gaggle and flew the rest of the course by myself.

I was concerned about a sea breeze near goal and maybe even a head wind on final glide. I didn't see a convergence line but the few wispy clouds near the shore were definitely lower than the clouds further inland. I stayed inland until I had goal by a couple thousand feet. The glide in was deliciously smooth and once I determined the head wind was minimal I cashed in my altitude for some air-slicing speed.

I had trouble visually identifying the field until I saw what appeared to be an airfield. Duh. I was looking for a field, maybe full of crops, not an airfield. The dome building at the end of the runway was visually unique both in the air and on the ground.


Although my former gaggle beat me into goal by a couple minutes, it was still fun to be there early and watch other happy pilots cruise in, including Jim P.



Even drivers are happy at goal!


Our driver Bill, along with Lauren and Jim M, scooped up Paul, Ric, and I at goal. We stopped for a variety of salty junk food to hold us over until awards dinner that evening. By the way, the food at the awards dinner was awesome.


As yet another storm approached from the west we held the awards ceremony. It was good to see New England pilots Brian and PK do so well. Brian won second in the sports class and PK had his first and second goal landing during the meet and finished in the top ten. NAUIICE. Johnny tried to make a move going into goal that didn't work out so Dustin won the meet in the open class. I came in fast enough to step ahead of Kevin to take fourth behind Sonny. (By the way, Sonny claims ignorance when it comes to racing, but don't believe him!)

After the ceremony we moved inside to watch a pre-release of Jim R's meet video. It will definitely be a "keeper".




As I continue to say, the meets at Highland Aerosports are a perfect place to sample competitive flying and let the kid inside out of its cage. Its that simple. They host a low stress, low hassle, playful meet that is a lot of summer fun.

No comments: