Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Florida Ridge (Day 4)

I modified my VG system yesterday and woke up early this morning to test fly before any wind kicked up. I rigged the glider, pulled the VG, and listened to tiny ball bearings from an exploded pulley bounce down my aluminum down tube.  Dang.  I quickly broke down the glider, tore apart the VG system dug up my spare pulley, did some drilling so it would fit, put the VG system back together, rigged the glider and went for quick flight around 9:00 am.

It was already breezy, but much less so than the previous days.  The safety committee didn't find any problems with the breezy east wind so the race was on.  The task was a short down wind run to a grass strip on the west side of LaBelle then northwest to a another airfield for a total distance of 47 miles (75 km).

I launched right after Campbell and Davis.  Rhett dropped me off to the northeast of the flight park in a weak climb.  A short while later James S dropped in and we slowly climbed as we drifted away.  I was noticing pilots to the south climbing faster, but didn't want to jeopardize my hard-earned altitude.  Instead of proceeding on course, I followed James south to intercept some pilots.  They found a climb I didn't.  A short while later, Derrick joined me in a sweet 400 fpm (2 m/s) climb.  Instead of heading on course, I flew back up wind to get a better start.  (I should have started my run after the first climb and definitely after the second climb with Derrick).  I kept running back to the start gate (circle) and losing altitude instead of getting a better start position.

I finally left (started) but at a much lower altitude than I could have left with earlier.  I joined a nice climb over the airport in LaBelle and immediately headed to a field in the distance to the southwest I thought was the next turn point.  However, it wasn't the turn point.  The turn point I wanted was now upwind behind me.  Doh.  By the time I got to the turn point I was low and hooked up with Paul.  We floundered around awhile and got stuck low with our backs to a big orange grove.  We landed at the same time 50 yards apart in a huge pasture.  We both made colossal mistakes and out pitiful scores tomorrow morning will reflect that.



Lots of people made goal and pilots were happy to be flying and landing at goal.



Flights: 2, Time: 1:45

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom, did you really say, "dang"?

R