Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lazy Afternoon

  The skies above Wallaby Ranch were filling with hazy clouds as I was dragged into the sky on a smooth tow Tuesday afternoon.  The thermals were soft cushy pillows unlike the bouncy high-pressure thermals offered up on Monday afternoon.  Since I tuned out most of the left turn, the mellow air allowed me to explore the flight envelop of my new glider near cloud base, including spins.

  I tried to hook up with Dennis C for some short XC.  Dennis made a run to my position to the southwest before I could tell him my climb was dying.  He returned to the ranch to find a climb and I followed.  We both made the wrong decision and slowly sank through the flat air to the LZ below.  I parked by glider on the tie-down line just as the lunch bell rang.  I was downing the last of the good meal when a crack of thunder sent me scurrying back to my new toy.

  I quickly started tearing down the glider as more thunder rumbled overhead.  Aric helped me fold the sail and carry the glider into the Wills Wing party tent as the gust front blew through followed by heavy rain.  I finished packing up under the tent as others struggled in the pouring rain.  The thunderstorm passed and we even enjoyed a nice sunset as we continued the partying into the night.

Flights: 1, Time: 0:41

No comments: