Friday, April 03, 2009

Southbound

  I rolled out of the driveway in Massachusetts at 4:00 AM Saturday morning and after 20:00 hours of driving 1320 miles (2124 km) I coasted into Wallaby Ranch near Orlando Florida.  I said hello to Oliver, pitched a tent, crawled in, and quickly fell asleep.  Around 2:30 AM I awoke to fire-ants stinging my hands.  Dang.  I thought I checked for ant hills, but I must have missed one.  I eradicated the little bastards already inside, pulled up the stakes, dragged the tent to a new spot, and then crawled back in.  The exertion, high humidity, 80F (26C) temperature made it tough to fall back asleep.  Just when I was dozing off, the thunderstorms I drove through early in Georgia hit and drove rain into the tent.  Sigh.  Nothing to do but fall asleep, ignore the water, and enjoy the fact that I left the snow a 1000 miles to the north.

 
The sun filtering through the early morning fog on Monday morning gave everything an enchanted aura.  Art was up early and had his first aero-tow lesson with Steve, the newly crowned instructor-of-the-year.


  It was good to be back in the land of warm temperatures, mellow air, and plentiful thermals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom, let's see, 1320 miles / 20 hrs = 66 mph average speed. Good thing you didn't have to stop for gas, food, or to relieve yourself! I hope you have good weather and fly at the top of your game. Good luck in the comps.

Lee