Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Zipper Flight

I spent Monday getting ready for the Rob Kell's Memorial Competition meet at the Florida Ridge on Monday as storms blew through.  The setting sun illuminated the last of the departing rain clouds as we prepared for a good day of flying yesterday (Tuesday).


The sky looked like classic Florida yesterday at Wallaby Ranch with cummies popping shortly before breakfast at 10:00 AM. The only problem was the wind, both speed and direction.  The wind was blowing around 15 mph  (24 km) from the west, which means we had to fly crosswind or upwind.  We considered upwind, but quickly settled on another trip "zippering" to the south along Route 27.

My first tow was exciting as the tug disappeared above me around 1200 feet (365 m).  Both the tug pilot and I got things back in line when the tug took an almost instantaneous slipping 45 degree roll to the left.  I tried to follow but as I watched the tow line head to the corner of my control frame I released.  What followed was the most unpleasant air I've encountered in Florida.  I was going slack, getting tossed into wing overs, watching the nose of the glider approach vertical in front of me, and generally getting worked over.  I managed to climb some as I drifted away from the ranch, but had to head back before I had any workable altitude.  Meanwhile Jason was towing and getting worked but to everyone's delight (especially Jason's) managed to keep on the line.  My joy ride continued right to the ground as I got popped up at the tail end of my final approach.  I was happy to be on the ground.  Thinking back, I suspect we were flying in the backside of a very strong thermal.  Basically we were in the wrong place at the wrong time on a windy day.

Meanwhile Patrick was reporting smooth lift to cloud base and other dozen or so pilots were floating about overhead.  That was enough to get me motivated for another try.  The tug pilot Bob and I worked hard to keep things going well on another rowdy tow but it was the normal turbulence you learn to expect on windy days.  Thanks Bob.  It didn't take long for Jason, Patrick, Mick, and I to sync up and head on course.  Mick started out lower and push further south than the rest of us.  I grabbed a quick climb and then flew south to the hospital near Mick.  Patrick came in at my level and Jason below.  I ended up flying the rest of the day with Patrick and watched Jason follow below until he landed in Haines City.  I lost track of Mick as Patrick and I kept fighting the strong crosswind.  It was a bit of work staying in some of the wind-blown thermals but occasionally found a sweet climb were we could rest.


The winds increased as the day wore on.  We were soon getting reports of a sea breeze back at the ranch and stronger winds on the surface from Mick who landed south of Bok Tower pilots.  Mike, who caught up with us around Bok Tower, raced ahead and landed at Avon Park.  Given the wind, time of day, and windsocks at the airfield, I decided to land there as well.  It was windy on the deck but managed a "functional" landing in the turbulent air.

Our exceptional driver Bill was there before I even started packing.  After a quick pack we were headed back north, tired but happy.


Flights: 2, Time: 3:45, Distance: 50 miles

No comments: