Sunday, May 31, 2009

East Coast Championships (Day 0)

I had a quick and easy drive from Massachusetts to Highland Aerosports in Ridgely Maryland.  I left around 6:15, shot through New York City like a greased pig, dodged patrolmen, stopped to load up on groceries and still managed to arrive before 12:00.

Brian, Charlie, John C, Steve, and Rodger greeted me as I threw up my tent.  Although I was late, Charlie and Paris suggested I join in on the informal crosswind task for the day.  Pilots were already towing by the time I started rigging.  My paced slowed as I noticed everyone was essentially towing and then quickly landing.  A few pilots finally managed to hang on in the increasing wind but when several pilots in a row snapped weak links down low, I decided it just wasn't worth it.  A short time later I got a call from Rodger requesting a pick-up.  Brian, John, and I hopped into Rodger's car for a 15 mile joy ride across state lines.  Everyone else landed back at the field.


Most of the usual culprits are here, including Linda who looks quite well and is using her arm much more than I was at this point after my break.

Looks like I'll be riding with Charlie and Jack with David as our driver.

Rain is predicted for tomorrow morning, but it is supposed to dry out by afternoon.

No comments: