Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Flytec Rally (Day 4)

We hung out at the Moultrie airport this morning wondering if the low clouds would lift and if thunderstorms would ruin the day.



The severe storms were predicted to arrive around sunset so we prepared to commit aviation.  The goal today was the historic Souther Field about 74 miles (120 km) away in Americus Georgia.


Although I wanted to go early, I ended up behind the entire priority queue which turned out to be good luck since some pilots had to take a couple tows.  I flew around the start circle at cloud base fighting a strong crosswind waiting for a crew to leave.  It wasn't until the third start gate that Dustin, Glen, and a few others pushed forward.  Dustin raced on while I snagged a few hundred feet in a quick climb.  I watched Glen head WNW below me but decided to head out on course line with Campbell.  I watched the cloud I was gliding to fall apart and ended up struggling with Campbell as we both tried to match the other's circle thinking the other was in lift!

I gave up and headed downwind in an attempt to stay airborne.  I drew out about 20 buzzards that pimped off me but really didn't help me climb much.  When they started flapping I knew it was time to move on.  I tried a brush fire and some dry fields, but sank out into a nice large hayfield well off course line.  I was bummed out but at least I got a couple hours of flying over new scenery, got to fly up close with a lot of birds, and had a sweet "walk in" landing.


On the way to Americus I heard Linda broke her arm on landing.  Mark said it was probably similar to the break I had.  Good luck Linda and heal quickly.

Flights: 1, Time: 2:14, Distance: 18 miles

4 comments:

keishya said...

tom, who was your arm doc
/
i also had a hard landing this past sunday and mri says no fracture BUT total ligament and tendon destruction.
the doc i saw here yesterday tells me
'god will heal you'...which may be true...but i am hoping for a slightly more medically savvy prognosis/treatment.so..please let me know the surgeons info...and good luck to Linda ...total bummer hope you heal fast.

keishya
flypuertorico@gmail.com

Linda Salamone said...

Hey Keishya, hey Tom....
I'd rather have the broken bone than ligament/tendon involvement. Sorry to hear you are part of the girl-hurt-arm club like me! I am healing fast - TOUCHED MY NOSE YESTERDAY!!!!
Linda
www.gottafly.blogspot.com

Tom Lanning said...

Wow! Touching your nose already? It was a couple months before I could do that. Impressive.

keishya said...

wow linda touching your nose so quick..amazing..seems like for me the extension is no trouble..duh no ligaments/tendons to restrict that action..but flexion..hard to come by. i have about 30 degrees more to go before I can touchmy left hand to my left shoulder...
I am so glad to hear you are healing well. Can you send me your emaail so we can be email gal healing arm fly again pals? mine is flypuertorico@gmail.com
hang in there!
keishya