Friday, May 08, 2009

Flytec Rally (Day 6)

Today started with breakfast as we watched Dustin doing tandem flights.  Meanwhile Bobby and Johnny were getting ready for some airborne video recording.  Bobby removed the front supports from the tug so he could get an unobstructed view with his helmet mounted camera.

He and Johnny planned the video shoot which included filming Johnny's launch and tow.


The original task for the day was a trip around the Green Swamp but that was changed when it became apparent that the sea breeze would make it difficult complete the task.  An alternative task was called but even that was changed at the last minute as I was sitting at the head of the launch line.  The final task was south to the intersection of Deen Still and Route 33, then back north to an airfield near Leesburg, and then back to Quest.  The total distance was 76.6 miles (123 km).
As I previously said, I was the first to launch.  Rhett dropped me in a sweet climb that I took to cloud base.  I spent the next hour playing around and slowly working my way upwind to the south west.  I was in perfect position for the first start and started right on time.  I watched some other pilots leave with less altitude and felt sorry for them but had to backtrack to their climb a couple thermals later to get back to cloud base.  The day was straightforward, but I did make a couple costly mistakes.  I went around one blue hole when I should have dived right through with Jeff S.  I also picked a bad time to "relieve myself" in the air and play with an eagle.  By the time I got back to looking at my instruments I already had goal by several thousand feet.  I tried to cash in my altitude for speed, but the air was too rough and I ended crossing the finish line with a couple thousand feet (which means I could have finished faster instead of climbing to gain that altitude).
I raced into goal just as Zippy and OB, who took the 3rd start, caught Jeff S, myself, and several others that took the first start 30 minutes earlier.  Ouch!  (The scores are available online.)
Tomorrow is the last day of the Flytec Rally.
Flights: 1, Duration: 4:04, Distance: 76.6 miles

No comments: