Tuesday, June 09, 2009

East Coast Championships (Day 7)

Although I awoke to clouds overhead I clung to the promise that a clearing line would arrive and sun once again would bath the soggy countryside with cummie-producing heat.  However, optimism gave way to doubt, and then to resignation as the day slowly passed by without soaring producing sunshine.  The launch, start, and launch closing times were pushed back several times, but it really didn't help.  A few pilots gave it a shot, but were back on the ground in a few minutes.  Even Zak couldn't find any lift after a long scouting flight in the tug.

Some pilots were ready to start packing up their gliders while others were hoping for that last-minute miracle flight that would move them up a few spots in the rankings.  As time ran out it became apparent the competition day was lost.  I already had my glider rigged and the tugs were ready, so I was going to fly no matter what.  I stepped up for a flight about 20 minutes before the 4:15 launch close.  I was pushing out onto the runway when David ran over and said the launch closing time had been pushed back to 5:00.  Cool, I could have more than one flight!  I had a sweet tow that was almost entirely a smooth tight spiral up over the field.  I flew down to a wanna-be cloud and maintained for awhile and even climbed back up a tiny bit.  Charlie and a few others joined me, but eventually we lost our battle and I came in for a nice dry landing.  I wish I could say the same for Charlie!  (A lot of the airfield and most of the surrounding fields were full of water.)

Another crew assembled for launch right before the 5:00 launch close.  Once again I had a very smooth tow up over the field.  I glided over to a forming wispy and climbed a couple hundred feet as the other pilots came in below me.  We bounced around at tow height for a short time before Paris went off on glide towards the start circle.  I wasn't sure I wanted to land out but maybe we would be able to put a glide or two together and go somewhere.  Davis, Mark, Paris, Terry and I glided off into the grey.  I found a few bubbles to turn in and managed to gain a bit on the other pilots.  We crossed the start circle but couldn't comfortably cross the river to stay on course line.  I watched Terry land and then Mark as I worked a bubble of lift over some farm buildings.  Davis and Paris continued on but I decided to turn back and land with Mark in a dry, recently cut, hillside wheat field than risk landing in a flat soggy corn field or even worse an unharvested wheat field.  I had another sweet no-wind landing and packed up my glider for the trip home in a field drier than any spot on the airfield!  Mark, Terry, and I managed to eek out about 5 miles and Davis and Paris a little more.  Of course, we didn't score many points.


Highland Aerosports hosted a tasty dinner complete with beer that Rich and Jen brewed for the meet.  (The "Whack Black" was especially good and others liked the "Topless Blonde".)



The winners were announced after dinner, with prizes awarded to almost all competitors.  (Cash prizes were awarded to the top 3 places.)  Rick won the sport class, followed by Rodger and Brian.  Paris won the open class, followed by Greg and then me.  The evening was topped off by a big bonfire and more home-brew.

I pulled up stakes the next morning in a thick fog that only added to the melancholy feeling that another East Coast Championship was over.



Flights: 2, Time: 2:10, Distance: 5 miles

No comments: