Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sugarbush

Rhett called Wednesday afternoon (August 12) and said he was going to fly his tug to the picturesque Warren-Sugarbush airport in Warren Vermont that evening and wanted to know if I would help him demonstrate aero-towing to airport officials and members of the Sugarbush Soaring Association early the next morning.  Only a handful of people can convince me to load up the glider and drive 3.5 hours in the pouring rain at 5:30AM to go flying in potentially wet, and at best, mediocre conditions.  Rhett is one of those people.

I dropped into the Mad River Valley around 9:00 AM and Rhett and Fay greeted me at the airfield in front of a nice hanger a few minutes later.  (Fay was providing ground support that day.)  We met with friendly local sailplane and tug pilots to discuss existing sailplane launch, tow, and landing procedures and then develop procedures that would allow us to blend in with minimal interruption.


The wind was blowing from the east, almost 90 degrees across the runway, over a tree line.  The local pilots said it was an unusual direction and happens about once a month.  Oh well.  We didn't think it would affect the tows much but I was concerned about a crosswind final.  I decided there was enough room to manage a last minute turn into the wind into tall grass east of the mowed strip along the runway.

Although it was raining to the east, the low clouds above the field were breaking up so we decided to do some towing.  After PK arrived, we hiked our gliders across the runway and started rigging.  A curious crowd gathered around asking questions about equipment (gliders, parachutes, releases, etc.), launch and landing procedures, operating envelops, and of course soaring techniques.  As usual, once the conversation turns to soaring we are on common ground.  The local pilots offered up the location of house thermals, sink holes, and turbulent areas.

I finished rigging first and was eager to get into the air before the forecasted rain and thunderstorms arrived.  Rhett and I had a long runout before becoming airborne since the ground was soggy and we were towing uphill.  I really enjoyed that first view you get when climbing out from a new airfield.  The runway quickly dropped off into a treed valley, while a hill rose before us to the south, and mountains framed the east and western flanks.  Rhett and I flew a nice and conservative pattern.  He waved me off at an agreed altitude and position even though we were not climbing.  Rhett left to demonstrate his approach pattern while I headed across a ravine to some smoke rising from a wood fire.  (I assumed anything burning with the amount of rain we had must be hot.)  I managed a weak climb back to release height before playing under a few wispy clouds to the east and then west.

The purpose of our flights were to demonstrate our ability to blend with the sailplane activity, so I didn't spend much time soaring.  I was surprised when I looked over at the airfield and noticed it was about 500 feet higher than valley below me.  I needed to leave immediately if I wanted to fly the agreed pattern instead of squeaking back into the field low or landing out.  I watched PK launch as I approached the field.  I crossed over the mid-point of the runway as planned, did a short downwind leg over trees, dropped into the tree-lined slot off the north end of the runway, and glided along the east side of the runway to a landing near the windsock.  All very conservative and uneventful; just what was needed.

PK demonstrated we could soar in weak conditions before coming back to the field for a good landing using a modified approach that did not cross the runway.  Most of the audience wandered off after PK landed.  We assumed their questions were answered and were satisfied we could share a airfield.  While David rigged his glider, I spoke with sailplane pilots about common issues such as declining membership and access to flying sites.

David was towed up as a large cloud developed on the western ridge line.  David and a sailplane pilot soared to the south and west for quite awhile before landing.

David on approach.

David landing.


PK and I were getting ready to tow again when I noticed rain falling from the clouds to the west and that it was slowing drifting towards the field.  We both decided not to fly to avoid creating an impression that we fly in unsafe conditions.  (The rain never reached the field and the clouds dried out 30 minutes later).

After we broke down, Bill, David, and PK left while Fay, Rhett, and I drove into town for a late lunch / early dinner.  After a relaxing meal, we returned to the airfield.  Fay took off with the launch dolly in Rhett's truck, Rhett climbed into the clearing evening air, and I drove away to the west facing ridge to the east that provided a nice view of the setting sun.



I hope we are invited back to the airfield and I get a chance to explore the valley on a good soaring day with light winds.  I'm sure the views are spectacular and if our one day there was any indicator there are many new friends to make as well.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:20

No comments: