Friday, April 02, 2010

Crossing Florida

Thursday provided another sunny light-wind day of flying.  Joe convinced us to fly a cross-shaped course west of Wallaby Ranch.  The course had 8 points and we crossed over the intersection of Deen Still and Route 33 4 times.  We had a single start at 2:00 PM with a 2 km start circle.


I have already slipped into "ranch mode" and was tardy getting to the flight line.  Patrick and Larry launched while I waited for several demo flights to get towed up.  Patrick broke a weak link and landed shortly before I took off.  I had a sporty tow, but was tossed off in a good climb that allowed me to get to the start circle just before 2:00.  Larry was there but everyone else was on the ground moving across the field to another launch position.  It was then that I discovered that I didn't have any radio so I spent a few minutes trying to get it working, but finally gave up and chased Larry back to a climb over the ranch.  Since I didn't have radio communication, I assumed the start time had been delayed.  However, a few minutes later I saw a single glider head out on course.  Once I got back up I took off and Larry followed.

Larry and I worked together and eventually caught the earlier pilot.  The three of us worked together until we got to the first, and furthest, turn point.  Larry and I returned to the crossroads where we shared a climb with a half-dozen pilots heading the opposite direction.  They continued west while we headed south to "Fantasy of Flight".  We wasted some time searching for an elusive climb but finally dialed-in and climbed out.  I shared a climb with Jeff O and Jeff S before heading for the crossroads.  I saw Larry low to the north and eventually lost sight of him.

Larry

Meanwhile I shared a strong climb with several bald eagles.  I enjoyed flying so close to such cool-looking birds.  It was the first time that I've seen more than one eagle fly together.

The northern leg was a bit of struggle, but managed some slow climbs, including one with a piece of paper.    I maneuvered my position until the paper was stationary under my right wing.  Nice.


I saw OB race north as I returned south.  I shared a climb with Patrick before gliding on to the crossroads.  OB was reeling me in as I floated along between 3 and 4 thousand feet.  We hooked up in a strong late-evening climb after I snagged the turn point at the crossroads.  I started a lazy glide back to the ranch as OB raced back to the turn point.  OB caught up with me as we got close to the ranch, but I had the altitude to burn and held him off by a few seconds.

I had another sweet landing near the tie-down line.  Jeff S and Joe made it in before the day shut down.  Patrick landed near the last turn point.  Larry decided to skip the northern turn point and also made it back to the ranch.

Many other pilots spent the afternoon cruising around the ranch.  Ah, another great day of flying.


Flights: 1, Duration: 3:49, Distance: 59 miles

2 comments:

Jeff Curtis said...

Sweet flying! I am jealous.

Anonymous said...

Cool !!! Keep on writing ... it's appreciated !!!