Saturday, April 03, 2010

Down by the River

Many pilots leave Sunday and nobody wanted to miss the annual Wills Wing party on Saturday night so we decided to cut the strings to Wallaby Ranch and head downwind.  We declared goal as a small airport at Crystal River on the west coast.  The day was blue again with a light east southeast wind.  Unlike other days the lift was weaker, broken, and not going very high.


The entire day was a satisfying struggle to stay aloft.   Dennis, Jim, Larry, Rick, and I joined up in a climb to the northwest and decided to go around the northern end of the Green Swamp.   Jim dropped off at the Seminole Gliderport while the rest of us climbed with sailplanes to the north of the runway.  I wish I took pictures of the expensive glass ships circling close below me.

Dennis and Patrick

Rick ventured off to the northeast and was soon walking.  Meanwhile, Dennis, Larry, and I kept pushing northwest along the edge of the swamp.  Larry picked a better line and soon left Dennis and I wallowing in weak broken lift.  I was picking out LZs when I stumbled in a good climb that all three of us used to get above 3000 feet.  We had a nice glide to a drifting climb over a quarry.  Dennis didn't connect as completely as Larry and I did and soon landed.  I pushed on until was down to 800 feet above a small town fighting to stay in the air over some metal buildings.  Three buzzards and I bounced up and down as we struggled to climb.  Larry came over and joined the "fun".  We continued the fight for a long time before finally breaking 2000 feet.  We had a nice glide to the Withlacoochee River were we struggled with a small fire-produced thermal before callin it quits and flew back upwind to a huge empty field.

 Allen

We broke down under a shade tree and was welcomed by Allen who lives next to the field.  We all chatted as we packed up and Allen kindly allowed us to walk through his yard to the road.  Back at the ranch, Tim volunteered to drive Rick's truck to pick up Dennis, Larry, and me.  (Thanks Tim!)

 Matt and Pat

We stopped for a great meal at the Red Wing on the way back with Matt, Pat, and Tim.  I really liked the gator bites.


Flights: 1, Duration: 3:12, Distance: 51 miles

No comments: