Saturday, April 24, 2010

Rob Kells Memorial (Day 7)

The day got off to an early start as a small crowd gather to watch Bill take his first solo flight shortly after sunrise.  James gave Bill some last minute reminders, Bill launched like a pro, and the crowd cheered; another one leaves the nest.

Right before Bill's first solo flight

We had a bit of a comedy routine with the task selection.  The original task was changed when the organizers found out an airshow was planned at the goal airport.  Everyone was essentially ready to go when the task was changed to a field a safe distance from the airshow.  Then we slowly realized that there were two waypoints with similar names.  Some flight computers overwrote the first, some renamed the waypoints, and others simply chose one.  So more confusion ensued and starts delayed until everything was sorted out.


Unlike previous days I had an uneventful tow and easily climbed to base.  However, each time I flew upwind to stay near the airfield I ended up low.  I tried to get upwind of the start circle, got low, and had to take a slow climb away from the start circle with a few other pilots.  We arrived at base when the second start clock went off.  Instead of accepting the 15 minute delay, I flew back to get the later start and got separated from the main gaggle.

I had a nice strong climb at the first turn point and then ran a line of clouds to the east of the course line.  That worked well and allowed me to catch and pass most of the lead gaggle.  When offered a chance to glide to a climb with the lead gaggle or continuing along my course, I chose the former to my determinant.  From there on my flight was a series of low saves.

I had an interesting low save as I dove low into an enormous orange grove that was 5 miles by 8 miles (8 x 13 km).  Chris joined me as we sniffed around for our way out.  We found a very broken climb and fought our way out.  Whew.

A few low saves later when I was a climb or two away from goal, unzipped, and ready to land I flew over a burning swamp and found a broken smokey climb that took me to base.  Not only will my glider smell like smoke for weeks I was quickly blown away from the course line and goal.  I pushed upwind and found another weak climb that was enough to glide into goal with 700 feet (213 m) according to my flight instrument.  However, I didn't trust it and tried to chase down another climb instead of gliding in. Big mistake.  I landed in a nice pasture 6km short of goal.  Bummer.



The results are available online.

Flights: 1, Duration: 4:42, Distance 123 km

No comments: