Friday, June 04, 2010

The Second Time Around

Although it didn't look like a great day for XC flying, Friday, (May 21), arose from the wasteland of blown-out or rainy forecasts like a beautiful spring flower.  John B, Peter J, and Rodger loaded up on my Subaru Outback for its maiden "fully loaded" trip.  Randy, who lives in the same town as I do, ended up driving by himself.

We easily settled on towing behind Rhett at Morningside.  After the customary chit-chat, we rigged, along with Tim B, on the mowed taxiway before launching around 2:00.  I had a smooth tow to the factories (the house thermal) and pinned off at 1700 feet (518m) in what I thought was a good climb.  Oops.  I floundered until I found a very weak climb that took me back to release height before it faded away and I had to run back.  Rodger, who launched before me, was coming in at the same time.  He took the runway so I landed with a no-stepper in the grass to his left.  Everyone else had similar "mini-flights".

Rhett helping Randy

Needless to say, those flights didn't satiate our hunger for airtime.  We took to the air again around 3:30 with much better results.  Once again I released over the factories but immediately found a weak, but reliable climb.  I spent the next 2.5 hours climbing in anemic thermals but cruising around the valley at will in the light and variable winds.


Rodger and I watched Peter and Randy climb below us as farmers tilled the fields fueling our ascent to 6100 feet (1860 m).

 Looking north

Looking south

John and I were heading north at one point when I called him over to a climb I stumbled into near Claremont NH.  Of course the thermal dried up by the time he got there and soon we were both heading back to Morningside.  The best we could find was zero sink.  I wasn't going to land before John, so I was doing everything I could to stay in the air!  We circled for 20 minutes sinking from 2900 feet to 2800 feet (884 m - 853 m) before slowly starting to climb.


 John

It eventually turned on, we climbed out, and I flew south and then east of the airfield.  My total flight path was over 30 miles (48 km), but never more than 8 miles (13 km) from the flight park.

Morningside

I ended the flight with a nice "run-in" landing on the runway in totally calm air.  I was much more satisfied the second time around.

Flights: 2, Duration: 2:49

No comments: