Friday, June 04, 2010

Yawn

I already decided to stay at home on Tuesday (May 25), but was susceptible to outside influences since I was going to be stapled to the ground over the upcoming holiday weekend.  An updated forecast that predicted improved climbs and a higher cloud base and Peter's offer to pick me up pushed me over the edge.

Paragliders

The sky at Morningside looked good and seemed to be getting better, so we didn't rush to rig.  Instead we talked with everyone before wandering across the road to set up our gliders with Brian.  I was the first to launch around 2:30.

Following Rhett

The clouds that were present all morning long literally dried up while I was on tow.  Rhett dragged me to the last remnants of a cloud across the river to the northwest.  I released and bounced off weak bubbles but was soon below a glide back to Morningside.  I found a few hits of lift that allowed me to climb up enough to get back.

I made a pass over the training hill on my way to the runway and stumbled into a snaky little thermal that took me over the 450 foot (137 m) launch, but it didn't stay together long enough to get me up and away.  I played with my hard-won altitude and setup to land on the runway.  Unfortunately, someone parked the launch dolly right in the middle so I had to make a last minute turn into the taller grass.

 Brian on final


Brian and Peter did better, managing climbs under the occasional clouds that formed shortly after I landed.  Rhett encouraged me to tow again, but my heart just wasn't in it.  Instead I sat in the shade, broke down my glider, and then enjoyed ice cream in Charlestown NH on the way back home.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:41

No comments: