Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 3

The third leg of the rally was from Moultrie Georgia to Souther Field in Americus Georgia.


It was a beautiful day to fly.  I escaped the heat on the ground early, took a leisurely climb to  the top floor and then spent about an hour floating around in the cool shade of the clouds.


I decided to try a new persona and race hard and fast.  I was impressed with my new-found aggressiveness until I botched my final glide into goal.  My flight computer said I had goal by almost 900 feet (275 m) a long way out.  I was doing great for the first 2/3 of the glide and then shifted a bit to the east and was pummeled with strong sink.  I soon found myself low within sight of goal, but too low to glide in.  I struggled with very weak lift as a dozen or more pilots flew by overhead.  Crap.  Make that "double crap"!


I eventually got high enough to make it in but suffered greatly in the scoring.  It was cool though landing at an historic airfield.  Souther Field, now the Jimmy Cater Regional Airport was, among many things, the place Lindbergh first soloed.  I camped at the foot of a statue commemorating that flight.




Flights: 1, Duration: 4:00, Distance: 74.6 miles

No comments: