Saturday, May 14, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 6

The task for day six was from Viladia Georgia to Allendale South Carolina.  Once again I contemplated not flying due to my shoulder, but hey, how hard can it be to fly a hang glider?  ;-)


The town mascot showed up for our morning meeting along with several reporters.


We staged our gliders along the launch line and then waited for any sign of lift in the blue sky above.



Some cumulus started popping and pilots started queueing for launch.  I made the mistake of waiting too long and most of the line emptied out in front of me.  A few of the earliest launching pilots returned to the field, but most climbed out.  I was second in line to launch when we had to move the launch line to deal with a wind direction change.

I had a good tow and was on my way.  I wanted to start early to avoid a thick band of cirrus that was quickly approaching.  I was still in my initial climb for the first start but was in reasonable position for the second.

The first part of the course was fast and predictable but as we approached the convergence line from the coast things got soft and overdeveloped.  I tried to race hard as I could using a single hand in climbs and even sometimes on glide.  After a couple hours in the air, my shoulder was really bothering me so when faced with a long uncertain glide over trees and swamp with rain falling on me, I turned to the north and landed with Larry and Nick.  (Thanks Sue for letting me use your phone when I discovered I had no cell service.)

Bill and Mavis showed up even before I finished breaking down.  We loaded up and then picked up Patrick who landed only 7 km short.  Bummer!

We enjoyed sushi in Aiken South Carolina and relived our flights.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:53, Distance: 84.7 miles

1 comment:

Lee M. said...

Hi Tom, As Jeff says it has been fun keeping up with your flights. I'm exhausted just reading about them. All of us in New England feel your (shoulder) pain and are sorry you have had to fly so much. It looks like rain here for the next 4-5 days plus I hear the black flies are as plentiful as ever. No need to hurry back. Fly safe.