Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Rob Kells Memorial - Day 5 - Almost

We had a diamond-shaped 111 km (69 mile) task today.


I planned to take the first start to avoid possible problems with sea-breezes, lake-breezes, and an approaching front.  However, I let "group think" change my plans once I was in the air and in the end I landed short when the day quickly faded.

Since I had time to kill, I took pictures in the start circle.




I played one-to-many start circle games and ended up in a sub-optimal position and time.  I had a close call over a large orchard, but slammed into a strong climb that lifted me out of purgatory.  At the end of the next glide I ended up low again, but this time there was immediate ride out.  I sniff around for a long time before Derreck and I found a budding thermal that got us going again.

I was greeted by a large airliner coming at me as I approached the second turn point.  Needless to say it was impressive and a bit scary until it made a sharp turn to the south.

I quickly rounded the 2nd turn point and worked my way to the 3rd turn point with Charlie.  By then the day was dying and I glided to a large pasture field short of goal.


Once again the love-bugs were out in force.


The score is available online.

Flights: 1, Duration: 4:14, Distance: 59.3 miles

No comments: