Monday, June 06, 2011

East Coast Championship - Day 2

Some days flying comes naturally and I easily cruise through the sky; other days nothing seems to work and I stumble through the air.  Today I amazingly stumbled all the way to goal.

Highland Aerosports at Ridgely MD

The open class had a 99.6 km (62 mile) rectangle task while the sports class had 42.5 km (26 mile) downwind task.  The wind was from the northeast.


I launched early to avoid any possible problems associated with towing in a cross wind.  The tow and air was pleasant.  I took pictures and played in the air with the other competitors.


I had a good start with about half of the field.  I was moving along fine until I missed a climb while only a tiny distance below two other pilots.  I floundered there awhile before moving on and drifting past the 2nd turn point.  I said good bye to the pilots I was flying with as I drifted downwind over trees in the opposite direction of course.  I made up the deficit with a quick climb and continued to move well until I had a crappy glide while I tried to empty my bladder.  (I'm not talking water here!)  I followed that up with a wasted detour to a cloud off course line that didn't work.  I also discovered that my radio antenna was broken, meaning I could only talk with team mates when they were in the same thermal.

Despite all the humorous "issues", I was doing OK until I started the last leg of the course.  I struggled to find climbs as the clouds and other pilots disappeared.  I kept getting low and didn't see anyone in front or behind me.  I assumed the "race" was over and I just needed to tip-toe into goal.

By the way, I need to apologize to my feathered friends the vultures.  I have recently spread rumors they are clumsy and weak-minded fliers.  I was "educated" today when a vulture interrupted my landing approach by jumping out of a tree line to mark a good thermal.  I climbed in that thermal as other vultures joined me and my new buddy.  They showed me stronger cores while I was content with my original climb.  I formally apologize.  These birds are true aviation masters.

I took my time getting into goal, only to discover there were pilots behind me that also made it in.  I gave up 100 points climbing in a weak thermal since I assumed no one else would come in after me.  Sigh.

It was a good day with many tired and happy pilots at goal.

Larry likes his glider

Paris won the day for the open class, while Brian won the sport class.

Flights: 1, Duration: 4:45, Distance: 62 miles

No comments: