Tuesday, June 07, 2011

East Coast Championship - Day 3

The cool overcast days are gone as warm humid air started streaming in today on a brisk southwest wind.  A trough dragged high cirrus overhead.  We struggled with competing weather forecasts but settled on a 82.4 km (51.2 mile) three-legged task to the northeast, to the southeast, then to the east southeast.  The sport class had 34.1 km (21.1 mile) task to northeast and then to the east southeast.

It was tough getting pilots motivated as the wind and cirrus increased and the tow pilots reported scarce lift.  We finally stepped up and started launching about 30 minutes before the start time, making it possible to drift through the first 2:00 10 km start gate.


My tow was active until April and I got above the ground turbulence and then had smooth tow under the milky sky.  I had used most of my altitude searching for a climb before stumbling into a weak climb that I essentially rode to the start circle.

It was a tough flying day as the wind speed and direction shift with altitude shredded the sparse thermals.  I shared several nice climbs with friends until a long glide into the wind left me low over a large corn field where I landed with Jim and Mark.


Jim

Mark

Paris won the day in the open class and Randy won the sport class.  The scores are available on Soaring Spot.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:02, Distance: 19.8 miles

No comments: