Wednesday, June 08, 2011

East Coast Championship - Day 4

Hazy, hot, and humid.  Official heat warnings.  No clouds, little predicted lift, and low top of climbs.

In spite of the dismal looking forecasts we called a downwind and crosswind task and had a fun day with roughly half of the open class pilots at goal 63.9 km (39.7 miles) away.  Once again we were slow getting started.  I was on tow when the alarm on my flight computer beeped telling me the first start window was open.

Adam towed me upwind of the field into stable air.  A couple pilots were getting ready to land and the only other action around was a gaggle barely in reach downwind.  I bet the farm and made a no-return glide to the gaggle.  Not only did I connect with the climb but I somehow worked my way to the top.

We conservatively picked our way along the course line towards the first turn point.  Paris impressed everyone with his extended low save spread across two large fields.  Once around the turn point we flew into the convergence line and picked up a favorable tail wind.  I snapped some pictures along the coast.




We landed at a nice airfield that has a building that looks like a space ship!

Mark

I could have been more efficient, but I didn't want to miss the good views.


Bob won the open class, while Nick won the sport class downwind task with a zig-zag at the end.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:39, Distance: 39.7 miles

No comments: