Monday, September 26, 2011

2011 Team Challenge - Day 1 and 2

Randy and I arrived at Henson's Gap near Dunlap Tennessee late Friday evening for the Team Challenge.


The New England crew setup for a warm-up flight Saturday afternoon.  Scattered clouds formed over the plateau while the valley remained blue.  Pilots sledding to the LZ convinced us to wait but three rigid wings launched in sequence, flew over to the southwest face, and slowly climbed out.  That was enough encouragement for me, so I followed Randy off launch after waiting for a slight tail wind to subside.

Randy worked a bubble he encountered on his way to the southwest face for a couple turns but headed to LZ.  I flew directly to the southwest cliff but encountered strong sink on the way there.  I didn't arrive as high as I hoped, but still tried to find a way up.  After a few passes with minor lift, I flew to join the growing crowd in the LZ.

A few pilots managed to climb up and enjoyed an afternoon at cloud base while the rest of us caught up with old friends in the LZ.


The first day official day on Sunday was blown out and the second day on Monday was rained out.  We attended seminars and waited for better weather to arrive.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:07

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, this sounds oddly familiar LOL

Rob