Thursday, September 15, 2011

Aeolus

I knew I had to "give it a go" when I saw a sign tacked to a tree alongside the road pointing to "Hang Gliding" in Groton Massachusetts in the early 1990s.  I had blast spending weekend mornings hiking gliders up the narrow abandoned ski slopes of Groton Hills for a few moments escape from gravity's prison.  Its strange to think those slope skimming flights eventually lead to flights at dizzying heights all around the world.

The school closed long ago, the slopes have grown in, houses fill the LZ, and some of the people are no longer alive.  A few of us still keep in touch, but most don't fly hang gliders anymore.

Here is a video from 1991 that captured a bit of the fun, and people, from that funky place and time.  (Yours truly makes several appearances, including a flight.)

Aelous


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never saw a wheel on the FRONT of a glider before!!! Hysterical! And I thought those Aeolus folks were unprofessional!!!HAHAHAHA

pk OUT

Dianne Kelly said...

I was relaying stories of my youth to a friend and found your site - I went for a few weekends in the summer of 1972 (or so - hazy times) - and had a BLAST - learned all about winds/rotors and ALL about crashing! never got my Hang 1 - but it was one of the best rushes I have had!!!!

SueFromMA said...

I took hang gliding lessons here back in 1978-79. Had a blast. I still have my Aeolus hang gliding shirt that says “get high”.

SueFromMA said...

I took hang gliding lessons here back in 1978-79. Had a blast. I still have my Aeolus hang gliding shirt that says “get high”.

Anonymous said...

Can’t believe I found this! My dad, George, is in the picture of the instructors wearing suspenders & and my grandfather, Owen, drew the cartoon! I instantly recognized the style and I can just make out Zonka signed at the bottom (how he signed all his drawings & paintings). What a treat to see this, thank you!!!