Monday, March 12, 2012

Another Season Arrives

Going to the Vermont Hang Gliding Association's annual XC awards dinner always gets me thinking about a new flying season after winter's hibernation.  It is time to inspect, update, and spit-shine the equipment and start dreaming of new adventures.

Before doing that though, I like to reflect on what happened during the previous season.  2011 was a strange mix of highs and lows.  I purchased a new glider with an awesome custom sail that took longer than usual to get properly tuned.  The weather in Florida and Georgia was freak'n  awesome at the same time I developed a repetitive use injury in my shoulder that forced me to fly some of the best conditions I've seen on the east coast with one arm.  The second half of the season produced the most uninspiring season we've seen in New England in a couple decades but I had one of my best flights ever flying across Massachusetts and almost making it home.  It was a strange memorable season.

I had 55 flights, was in the air 128 hours, and flew 1,537 miles.  The longest distance was 120 miles during a task at the Flytec Race & Rally in Georgia.  As usual, I racked up concentrated stats during competitions in Florida (FL), Georgia (GA), and Maryland (MD).  Here are the numbers,

Number of flights / state

Hours / state

Miles / state

Average Miles / Hour / State

Miles / Flight

Miles / Hour / Flight

1 comment:

Lee M. said...

Hey Tom, Glad to see that you are taking the blog out of mothballs (the glider too). I am looking forward to reading about your successes in the Florida comps. Good luck! Lee