Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Wallaby Ranch - Flight Park Birds


Arrived at Wallaby Ranch Monday after a "refreshing" 19.5 hour drive that started in Massachusetts at 4:00am.  I rigged the tent and fell asleep under a full moon.  I took it easy the next morning while tugs pulled eager pilots into the air.  I relocated my tent, signed waivers, caught-up with old friends, and finally setup my glider for a late afternoon "smoothie".

Unfortunately, Faye drew the short card and had the "privilege" of towing me after a 6 month layoff.  Needless to say, I was rusty.  I came out of the cart slow, bounced around the towline like a marlin on a fishing line, and got so high on her a one point that I needed binoculars to see her below.  Due to a combination of skill on her part and luck on my part I got a full tow into a slow but civilized climb.

It was a pleasant late afternoon; just what I needed.  I enjoyed the company of buzzards during several climbs.  They truly are "flight park birds"; they came in close and were not a bit nervous.



It was refreshingly cool at cloud base (6000 feet / 1800 m) and the glides smooth.  A weak sea-breeze pushed through while I remained blissfully unaffected far above.  The landing was uncomplicated and uneventful; a good way to start a flying trip.

Pat M, Rob J, Rick M, Steve P, and I had a good dinner and drinks afterward at restaurant with many of other tourists that come to Orlando to "get away".

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:25

No comments: