Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Big Spring - Day 4

After spending the previous day on the ground, everyone was ready to go on day 4.  The task committee created a dog-leg task; northwest to the airfield at Lamesa and then north-northeast to a small airfield call "T-Bar" just west of Tohoka.

It was hot and blue as we staged our gliders.


It was one of those days we search for any sign of lift.

Randy, John, and Patrick looking for encouragement.

Only shade around

Winning style, name withheld ;-)

Moments before the launch opened

Due to the "luck of the draw", I was near the end of the ordered launch, and, for one day only, there was no open window when anyone could launch before the ordered launch started.  I was dropped off in stable air but found a weak climb to the northeast of the airfield.  I watched several pilots search in vain below me before returning to land.  I clung to that weak climb until I was over the town of Big Spring.

I had a good start position but was behind most of the field and mostly alone on a weak day.  I had several reasonable climbs and glides until I approached a large mass of cumulus and mid-level clouds that were dropping rain and shading everything near Ackerly.  It was too big to go around so I tried to pick my way through it.  As expected the air was dead.  No beeps from the vario and no signs of lift anywhere.  I made a last valiant glide to a sunny spot near the airfield north of town.  From there I began a long knuckle-dragging slog drifting off course line just trying to stay in the air.  I called in "imminent landing" announcements on the radio several times.


Meanwhile, John and PK were approaching the first turn point and doing well.  They really knew how to rub salt in my wounds!  I drifted over irrigated cotton fields and a couple downed pilots before getting a climb near the "washes" east of Lamesa.  I then had to plow upwind to the airfield which again raised the possibility I might be landing.  However, I found a weak climb that was now drifting along course line towards goal.

PK came on the radio asking for wind direction on the ground at goal.  He urgently asked again.  I finally interrupted my concentration to tell him that the first one to arrive at goal from our group has to figure that out on their own!  I'm sure he was glad to beat John and I in.

I topped out my climb and started a very long slow final glide, flying just over best-glide speed.  It was a pleasant glide that allowed me to enjoy the scenery below, including an enormous dry lake bed that was chalky white; very cool.

I was greeted by a reasonable number of pilots, but some "top competitors" had landed behind us.  One pilot still missing was John.  I had assumed he arrived shortly after PK, but he made a calculated move that didn't pay off, missed the turn point, and then drifted away climbing back up.  He persevered though; getting the turn point and then goal, albeit a bit late.  Since Randy also made goal, the entire New England crew was once again at goal.  Good times.

I checked out the work horse while John and PK packed up.


We finished loading and joined a group of pilots for Mexican food in Lamesa before returning to Big Spring.


Scores for the day are available on Soaring Spot.

Flights: 1, Duration: 3:03, Distance: 73.1 miles

No comments: