Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Running Empty

I originally planned to return home on Monday or the first non-flyable day after that.  I almost left on Tuesday after dragging around Monday evening and Tuesday morning with a mild virus I picked up somewhere along the way.  Wednesday looked good, so I decided to stay for another day.  That worked out well for everyone that wanted a ride north for their gliders, especially for Peter J who would have been left without a glider and harness on a good day.

Peter need to stay local so he could drive to the airport after flying, but Jason W and Scott L were up for some XC flying.  I packed the tent, loaded the car, and tracked down gliders while everyone else rigged.  Pilots were heading to the launch line while I was still getting ready.

The day looked good at first, but cloud cover was on the verge of being too extensive by launch time.  I was dropped in a weak, but consistent climb, that ensured I wouldn't be landing soon like a few other good pilots were.


Wallaby Ranch (lower left)

I played near base waiting for Jason and Scott.  I used up most of my altitude watching a pilot get low over a field of nearly invisible 10 foot (3 m) sprinkler heads downwind of Wallaby Ranch.  Everyone that flies here knows to avoid the field, so I assumed the pilot didn't know about the hazard and might need help.  I radio'ed to Scott, who was on the ground waiting for a tow, to let the crew know someone was landing there.  I hung out overhead until I saw the pilot successfully land between the rows of  poles and then immediately flew back to the ranch to avoid the same fate.

Lucky for me, I found a solid climb over the orange groves and was soon at base playing with Wolfi and a few other pilots.



The only thing I heard from Jason was he was heading north, so I raced off in hot pursuit.  The climbs were slow, but the drift was good towards my turn point at QuestAir.  I was almost there when Jason announced he was on the ground not far from the ranch.  That explained why I couldn't find him in front of me!

QuestAir (lower center)


I flew over QuestAir at cloud base and headed back to the ranch.  I soon realized the combination of wind and weak climbs meant I was making slow forward progress; I would glide forward, get low, take a weak climb, and then drift back to the place I started the glide.


After several of these cycles, combined with my low energy levels, I decided to give up and land at the Seminole-Lake Gliderport.



I was greeted by several sailplane pilots, including two ex-hang glider pilots.


I watched the sailplanes launch and land as I packed up.  I also had a chance to talk with Russell B; another nice surprise.  It was early enough in the afternoon that Peter was willing to drive my car over and pick me up.  Thanks Peter!

I briefly talked with Jason when I got back before he took off to fetch pilots in Groveland.  I loaded the remaining gliders and hit the road.  I was running on empty by the time I got to Jacksonville 3 hours later and called it quits for the day.  It was a "good" tired.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:10, 32 miles

No comments: