Sunday, April 07, 2013

Wingmen

As expected, the weather improved as many headed home Sunday after the Wills Wing Demo Days.  However, a sizable flock was on hand to take advantage of the conditions.

Carolina and Oliver helping Bob

The tow was surprisingly smooth given the billowing clouds overhead.  I released into a consistent, but weak, climb.  A quick scan confirmed everyone else was also climbing slowly.  After reaching cloud base, I pushed upwind to the east by myself.  I joined a mature bald eagle for a few circles before following him (or her) further upwind to another climb.  Sharing a climb with bald eagles is fairly common in Florida, but what happened next was a first for me.  I flew further south as I grew inpatient with our weak thermal.  The eagle followed!  Normally you share a climb with an eagle and go your separate ways at the top.  Instead, I spent the next 20 minutes with the eagle as my wingman.  Sometimes the eagle would lead out and I would follow and other times the roles would be reversed.  Magical.

I reluctantly waved goodbye as he glided into controlled airspace and I turned back towards Wallaby.  I arrived with 300 feet (100m) and joined two turkey vultures along the western downwind edge of the field.  We bounced around in a barely-useable climb, as we drifted over the trees towards the orange groves.  I climbed to 900 feet (300m) before I needed to either commit to the climb or return to the field.  Just as I decided to return to the field, I was treated to a fantastic air show by a trio of swallow-tailed kites.  These kites never fail to amaze me with their aerial maneuvers; they are truly the fighter-aircraft of the bird world.

Although I landed just as the lunch bell rang, I was thrilled with my flight.  Its funny how sometimes adventure is just outside the front door.

Although the clouds were drying out, a couple pilots soaring overhead convinced Peter and I to give it another go after lunch.  Those pilots landed as I was hooked to the tug.  Oh well, at least I will be able to fly the glider back to the tie-down lines.  The smooth tow further confirmed my expectations of a sledder; at least to the point where the vario started singing.  I was waved off into a strong climb that ended at cloud base.

Paul

A friend buzzed me from behind and below in his motor-glider as I was gliding upwind.  One minute I'm looking down at the countryside and the next instant my entire field of view is filled with a shiny white cockpit and wings.  Very close, very startling, and very cool!  He circled back for a wave before flying off to parts unknown.

Later I was cruising around at cloud base with a group of pilots before heading off to play with high-speed glides on the new glider.  Unfortunately two pilots followed me before figuring out I wasn't looking for another climb.  I felt bad.  Sort-of.  Well, ok, not really!

I burned through the smooth evening air before doing a nice spot landing near the tie-down lines.

Flights: 2, Duration: 2:49

No comments: