Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Opening Day (2014)

Peter Judge and I met at Heather and Jeff Curtis' home early Wednesday morning for the first day of flying at Mount Ascutney in 2014.  The four of us stopped and picked up Ryan Crawford before heading to the base of the mountain where we met Jake Pierce, Marilyn Nichols, and PK.  I don't know how it happened but we had 3 drivers for 5 pilots; decadence!

The trail into launch was in reasonably good shape with the exception of scattered snow and mounds of moose droppings.  There was even snow left in the setup area.



As usual, we had opening day issues.  Some pilots had problems fitting harnesses over cold weather gear and "padding" added over the winter.  We went through endless rounds of "can you hear me now" correcting radio problems.  Several, including me, had first-foot-launch-in-6-months jitters.  Ah, the joys of opening day!


Jake launched first and soared at launch height for a few minutes as I waited for a break so I could launch next.  He started sliding down the mountain and we thought he might be done when he caught a nice climb on the way to the LZ.  Launch conditions kept me on the rock until he was well above us.  The crossing wind straighten up and I launched into a light but nice cycle.  Thanks for the wire assist Marilyn and Ryan!

I soon discovered the thermals were tiny strong bullets of rising air surrounded by turbulent crap.  All of us danced as close as we dared to the trees and each other.  I was having trouble getting my "mind into the game".  First, my ski pants got caught in my zipper and I couldn't zip up or down.  I struggled trying to free my pants so I could eventually land, all the while getting lower and lower.  I had made changes to my glider that were making it much stiffer than normal, again not something I wanted to deal with darting around the treetops!  Someone's radio was stuck on, transmitting continuous noise.  Mother nature got into the act by throwing thick cirrus overhead, threatening to close the thermal factory for the day.  Sigh.

Peter

Up and down we went until the bus came through taking us all upward with style.  Even though we got quite high, I was prematurely willing to scrap the day and head to Morningside for a known and comfortable LZ.

Jake

Jeff was the first to leave the area.  No one else followed so I thought they were also heading to Morningside.  I watched Jeff for awhile and decided to follow when I saw him slow up and start turning between Claremont and Kelleyville.  Of course, Jeff stopped turning when I approached.  Instead of pushing on, I turned tail and headed back upwind towards Claremont.  Jeff followed.

Jeff

We got low just east of Claremont, but worked broken lift until I got high enough to attempt crossing the ridge into the river valley.  Jeff continued to follow, but much lower.


Meanwhile our radio frequency was continuously blanketed with noise that limited communications with our drivers.  While Jeff and I struggled upwind, Peter flew down the valley and landed in Kelleyville.  Jake flew over our heads to Newport and landed in the large fields to the east of town.  Radio communication slowly started getting better, as we later found out, as PK flew further and further away to the east.  While PK was flying east to Hennicker, Jeff and I flew around Morningside for the rest of the afternoon.



Jeff and I landed almost at the same time, which meant one of us had to land across the road from the main LZ.  I darted across the road and prepared to make a strafing run along the road but had to abort when I saw a black truck round the bend heading my direction just as I started diving.  Bummer.

Heather picked up Peter and returned to retrieve Jeff and I.  Thanks Heather!  After chatting with the crew at Morningside, we met Jake and PK for dinner and trivia at One Mile West.

Here is video from the flight.


Flights: 1, Duration: 3:17, Distance: 9.6 miles straight-line / 21.9 miles 3-point

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice video Tom!
Brian B

Anonymous said...

Oops! Sorry boys. It was my method to keep you all away from me. HAHAHAHA PK ou7