Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Green Swamp Sport Klassic (Day 4)

Today's task was a zig-zag course to the north northwest with 5 turn points.  The task and results are available on Soaring Spot while the task and tracks are available on AirTribune.

The task surely tested pilots' ability to use flight computers to navigate a series of waypoints.  It also tested pilots' ability to avoid drifting downwind of course line; a test some pilots had problems with.














I even made a mistake coming into the first turn point.  I swept wide to check out a possible climb for the pilots behind (and below) me.  It didn't work out and I came in too low to snag the turn point.  I groveled low for a long time before putting together a climb (while watching someone else land after coming in above me).  I had to glide back and then take another climb before continuing on.

Track

Many pilots got very far downwind of course and struggled to get back upwind.  The rest of my flight was straightforward; with smooth booming climbs at the second and third turn points.  I continued to mark climbs upwind of pilots that got blown downwind and at turn points.

I landed with a group of pilots southeast of the goal field.


The drive back was fun as the mentors compared notes on the pilots we were advising.

Flights: 1, Duration: 3:27, Distance: 64.6 km

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to miss that glider. But atl east I'll uuallyknow if Jimmy's on the hill in yoiur older one! PK