Friday, April 10, 2015

Green Swamp Sport Klassic (Day 6)

The task was a 79.8 km triangle starting with a leg to the north (turnpike and route 33 intersection), then southwest, then back southeast to QuestAir.  The task and results are available on Soaring Spot, while the task and tracks are available on AirTribune.

It took quite awhile for pilots to climb out in the start circle.  I spent a lot of time cruising at cloud base with the other mentors waiting for the competitors.

JB and crew


Cory

Davis

Greg

The wind blew pilots downwind (east) of the course line to the north.  It was hard for some competitors to take my advice and leave a working climb to push upwind.  I had it easy bobbing around at base half way along the first leg with the mentors and a few competitors.



I left Davis in a climb and continued on to the turn point and returned to the previous climb so I could mark it for several competitors in the area.

Davis and 1st turn point

I gave Jim a big "thumbs up" when he came into the climb on his way to the turn point since he wasn't flying on my frequency and I wasn't sure he was even going to fly.


Jim

After the nearby pilots were situated, I flew west towards the next turn point.


Part way there, I saw two pilots circling but not climbing much back to the northeast.  I circled back and tried to help find lift over wet fields.  We gained altitude, but drifted away more than we climbed.



The next glide took me back to where I was before, but this time I was low and was having trouble latching into the thermal.  I floundered for awhile and left with another pilot hoping we would find something soon.


Unfortunately, we didn't find anything useable and landed short.  At least I had an audience.

LZ

Audience

After packing up we talked with the landowner, who flies sailplanes at Zephyrhills.  Looking back on the flight, I think I took too much risk trying to help other pilots.  I can't help if I'm on the ground!

Track

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:22, Distance: 39.1 km

No comments: