Saturday, April 04, 2015

Green Swamp Sports Klassic (Day 0)

Today was a practice day for the Green Swamp Sports Klassic at QuestAir.  Davis posted a practice task of Quest - Turnpike & 33 - Quest.  I launched hoping to practice in-air mentoring and do some sightseeing at the same time.

We had clouds around mid-day, but the sky was drying out by the time we launched.  The wind was also strong enough that many pilots either had extended sled rides or took one climb to the top and then glided off all their newly gained altitude getting back to the airfield.

I boated around the field for 40 minutes until two pilots were in a good position to start the task.  I left the climb so the top pilot could watch from the above.  I took off on course line, but neither followed.  So much for mentoring!



My first glide and climb were uneventful.  However the second glide towards Grass Roots airfield left me low and checking out LZs.


Grass Roots airfield lower center

I chased broken lift downwind until a bald eagle joined me and, together, we started finding more consistent climbs.  The eagle and I worked just like I might work with another human pilot.  Sometimes he (or she) would find a better spot and I would move and sometimes it was the other way around.  Finally the eagle tucked its wings, dove about 100 yards away, and zoomed into a strong core that took us both to the top.

Wingman


The eagle went east and I headed northwest along the turnpike.  Another quick climb and I had the turn point.




I glided back towards Grass Roots and once again had a tough time putting together a good climb.  In the end I just settled for chunks of climb until I was high enough to move on.

My flight computer said I had QuestAir as I reached Mascote, but I stopped for a safety climb that provided an easy return to the field.



The air field at QuestAir is littered with wind socks and no two showed the same wind direction.  I said to myself, just pick one and land on it.  I took myself a little too literally.  (I didn't hit the wind sock but it took an early high flare to avoid it.)


View just before I flared

I was the only pilot to complete the course, but one pilot landed at the turn point and another reached Grass Roots on the way out.

The competition starts tomorrow.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:27, Distance: 25.9 miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, if we only knew what the Eagle felt as it dove for a really good core, perhaps we could recreate it!!!
Fun story. PK