Thursday, September 29, 2011

Team Challenge - Day 4

Thanks to a large low-pressure system that just will not die or leave, a promising day turned into a series hourly pilots' meetings and delayed launch window openings.


The rest of our team, the Inglorious Flying Bastards posed for a quick picture.


We decorated our gliders with blue "racing strips" so we could easily find team members in a crowded sky.



The day was finally cancelled due to a strong cross wind.  I kept hoping the late day sun would heat up the west facing side of the valley and allow us to launch and soar.  My teammates knew how to torture me by making me choose between ice cream in the valley or waiting for a chance to fly.  I choose to wait for a chance to fly.

Conditions did slowly improve and I decided to "give it a go".  With help from Bubba, Miller, and John I launched and worked my way onto the top of the ridge.  (Thanks guys!)  Once I got established above the ridge it was easy to stay airborne in the light late-afternoon lift.  I sped along the ridge for several miles, chased migrating birds, and generally had a good time blowing off steam.


The late afternoon sun and hazy air gave the valley fields below an enchanted look.


More gliders started appearing in the sky.  Shane flew south beyond my position at the gap to the water tower that was part of our originally planned task.  Randy flew his new glider he picked up at the airport this morning.  I zipped around my new friends for a moment before buzzing launch and heading to the LZ before the sun set.  I had a nice landing and was greeted by Megan offering me a beer.  Thanks!  We quickly packed in the fading daylight and I hoped in with Bill and Byron Estes for a quick ride back to the top.  We had dinner while watching landings from yesterday afternoon before breaking up for the evening.

Flights: 1, Duration: 1:16

No comments: