Friday, June 22, 2018

Consolation Prize

I had a couple decisions to make early this morning.  My wife wanted me in New Hampshire by late afternoon.  I could ignore the request, but knew it wouldn't be a good idea.  Peter J offered to pick me up at my place and drive to Mount Greylock.  Other pilots were chatting up coastal flying in Plymouth.  The weather forecast was reasonably good for both.  Mount Greylock offered the chance for XC flying while Plymouth was about a hour closer to home.  Although I was starving for XC, I decided to catch an early consolation flight at Plymouth and be home in time to leave with my wife.

I arrived at launch just before 8am to discover there was no wind.  Zero.  Nil.  Nothing.  So much for an early soaring flight.  Driving from there to Mount Greylock wasn't a sound plan, so I stayed put and sent messages to the other in-bound pilots about the current conditions.  John G jokingly responded "Your not flying at the airport", referencing the wind reports from the Plymouth airfield which is inland a bit.  I replied "I am at launch."  I had similar interactions with other optimistic pilots as I waited in the early morning sun.

After about 45 minutes a crossing breeze slowly began wafting in.  I unpacked and practiced kiting.  The breeze kept increasing until I could walk to the cliff edge with the glider flying overhead and then back away.  After doing that several times, Donna arrived.  She took one look at the wind streamers and said "It looks soarable".  I doubted it, but did agree it looked borderline.  I pulled up the glider, walked to the edge, and decided to "take the plunge".  That is exactly what happened.  Oh well; pack the glider and hike back up.  Over the couple hours Aine, Donna, Jason, John G, and Peter W tested the air with the same results.  Donna used her sledders to collect trash from the beach on her hikes back up.  I used the time to hike back to the car to shed weight and clothing.  (This was my first summer flying visit to the beach and I was overdressed.)

Around 11:30 I noticed the wind changing to a more favorable direction but was getting even lighter.  Several forecasts were predicting the wind to become lighter as the wind changed direction.  I debated leaving so I could get home in time to ride with my wife.  John thought a sacrifice on my part might help the remaining pilots.  I wasn't going to be the sacrificial lamb.  I stayed.

Peter W pulled up for another try and made it work.  That was enough for me and several others.  I had to carefully work to get above the cliff top, but once there it was comfortably soarable.

The view was great; blue skies painted with feathery cirrus laying over translucent water with the line of the outer cape on the horizon separating the two.

I tried flying smoothly and efficiently and was rewarded with a high spot in the stack.  I also had fun with mild wingovers in front of the golf course and flying with others.

Jason (lower) and me (upper).  Photo courtesy of Jason Wallace

The wind continued changing direction to the southeast and increase in velocity.  Although it was soarable, I needed my speed bar to progress to the south.  Everyone, aside from Donna and I, was on the ground.  We slowly made our way back to launch when I decided to land so I could at least make a token appearance with my wife.

After I landed, the remaining pilots took to the air again.

I made it back to launch in time to help two pilots launch into the heavy traffic.

Flights: 2, Duration: 1:37